Check out Second Presbyterian Church!
Read along with Mark 9:2-9.
In this podcast:
1. Prayer of illumination
2. OT reading: 2 Kings 2:1-12
3. The Psalter: Psalm 50 responsive reading
4. Epistle reading: 2 Corinthians 4:3-6
5. Anthem of the day: "Christ, Whose Glory Fills the Skies" (T. Frederick H. Candyln)
6. NT reading: Mark 9:2-9
7. Sermon "Spiritual Geography: The Mountaintop" (Transfiguration Sunday)
In that moment, they are able to forget the news Jesus shared with them the week before: the news that the Son of Man must undergo much suffering, be killed, and rise again. For a few moments, they are no longer haunted by Jesus’ teaching that to follow him is to deny oneself, to pick up one’s cross and follow him. Follow him all the way to the cross.
The disciples are reluctant to leave this holy mountaintop moment. Everything in them wants to cling to the glory of these moments when everything fits.
But Jesus knows that they can’t stay on the mountaintop. His road comes down the mountain and leads into the depths of suffering before the final revelation of glory.